Saturday, March 12, 2011

Date Night: Toast of the Town

My wine glass and guide/notebook.
Tim and I got to do something we've never done before. We attended the Toast of the Town in Columbus, Ga. I decided to really take advantage of all the different wine and food tasting opportunities. I've really cut down on the amount of alcohol I consume for two reasons (1- it has too many points, and 2- my parents aren't drinkers so it is kind of weird to bring it in the house). However, when I do drink I'm mostly a Chardonnay, White Zin or Pinot Grigio gal.

Tonight, in following my theme of being brave and trying new things I thought I would try a few red wines (ok so I only ended up trying one- but I really liked it). I tried Te Kairanga, Estate, Pinot Noir. It was fruity but not like a fruit punch fruity. Light and tasty. I also tried a Pinot Grigio and the newer Kendall Jackson Avant Chardonnay. I think I like it better than the regular one they have at most restaurants. 


On to the food.


We circulated around the many food displays. From Ben's Chophouse, Tim tried the Seared Scallop with Fresh Apple and Celery Salad tossed in Champagne Vinaigrette. We both had brownies from Buford's Brownies (OH MY STARS! I wanted to eat them all...I had to keep walking). From C'Sons/Mare Sol we both had Handmade Chicken and Gorgonzola Tortellini (WAY YUM). I hope to try this place out if we catch a softball game of Katie's up in LaGrange. From Green Island Country Club, Tim tried the Smoked Trout Mousse in a Savory tart Shell with Trout Roe. But, we both had the AMAZING Trifle of Milk Chocolate Panna Cotta and Raspberry Mousse with Chocolate Genoise. From the Rivermill, Tim had the Chilled Sweet Three Onion Soup with Truffle Foam (and it was much sweeter than he expected). From the Cantina Bar and Grill, Tim really went out on a limb and tried the Ceviche- Citrus Marinated Sea Bass tossed with Fresh Tomoatoes, Onions and Cilantro. I don't think he normally would have tried it, but we bumped into a coworker who was raving on and on about it. From the Chattahoochee River Club, we tried Chocolate Truffles, Pistachio Checker Board Cookies, and Profiterole. I think Tim tried to sneak a few extra Checker Board cookies...


Finally...our favorite hands down of the evening: Vintage 222's Slow Roasted Filet Mignon Topped with Jumbo Lump Crab Encroute Drizzled with Sherry Cream. I want to eat this for the rest of my life. I've never had crab, I actually turn my nose up at seafood all the time. But, I thought it looked cute and appetizing so I just opened my mouth and took a bite. Hopefully, some day soon Tim and I will make it over to Vintage 222. I know they recently catered the other event we went to for YP and we really liked it. Maybe it will be our April new place.


All in all, it was a fun evening.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...