Tuesday, March 24, 2015

So it's time for a post...

I've been itching to write, and so... Here is something I've worked on for literally months:



I read somewhere that you're supposed to talk to babies the same as you talk in conversation with adults. And that you should talk often. Well, I've been doing that a good bit with PR. 

She's a little over 39 weeks (gosh I started this post over 25 weeks ago) and we've talked a lot. We've even hit some of the "tough" subjects already. Even some pretty hilarious ones. The main thing that starts most of our mommy/baby dialogs? Everyday media and pop culture.

I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint the start of our talks to the Rockabye Baby Lullaby version of Kanye West's Golddigger song. I played it and PR loved it! She's actually very fond of Kanye's work circa the RBL style- maybe it's because when I was pregnant I listened to his first two albums a whole bunch? I digress. I remember playing the song and singing along and of course there's some very interesting subject material. Well, since she enjoyed it so much I figured I might as well explain it to her. So I did. I talked to her about what a "gold digger" was, and then I talked to her about my high hopes for her that she'll be a strong and independent woman that doesn't have to rely on anyone when she's older (but that, of course, she could always rely on her parents). 

All that to introduce what may or
may not become a feature of this blog (because let's face it I've already learned not to make plans): Baby Talks. I want to share with you all some of the fun or more interesting talks I've had with PR or talks I plan to have with her.

First up: Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass. In this house we ALL love this jam. I play it to and from work, while at work, Tim plays it to make the baby girl sleep- we are all in fact all about that bass over here!

So listening to this song over and over I got to thinking about the lyrics, my own body image and the sudden anxiety/fear I have for raising a girl. 

As the song states, "yeah it's pretty clear I ain't no size two." I have long struggled with my weight and appearance and go through phases of loving my body and hating it- this has only been amplified by being pregnant and now having a postpartum body. This is nothing unique to me, and that's actually what I love about the song because I think the song addresses that even "skinny bitches" have issues with body image as well. 

For PR, you are a beautiful baby girl and I have no doubt you'll continue to grow into a beautiful little girl and someday a beautiful woman. My hope and prayer for you is that you will be confident not just in your physical body, but your entire being. I love you, nugget. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...