Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Never in a million years...

...did I think I would be 26, married, living at home with my parents (plus three cats) and enjoying life in my hometown. But that describes exactly where I am.

Quick history:
Tim (husband) and I met over a decade ago in high school (note: our high schools were 90 miles apart). We competed against one another in debate and knew at the ages of 15 and 16 we were destined to argue forever.

We set off for college at the University of West Georgia (well I went one year before Tim did). We thought we'd debate together for a change, but ended up becoming members to a whole slew of other activities. Tim majored in Political Science, and I majored in Mass Communication with a minor in Psychology.

We both had ambitions beyond college, so Tim attended law school at the University of Georgia, and I obtained my M.A. from Auburn University. Yes we are a house divided (though I am way more involved in college football than he is). And yes, we were married at the time of attending both of those schools so we lived apart for the first 7 months of our marriage.

Fast forward to my graduation. I moved in with Tim and his sister Sarah in Athens and we lived there while Tim finished up his last year of law school. Athens is a nice town (not near as nice as Auburn...) but unfortunately we had to make a decision. I was teaching at the local technical college and the pay was not enough to keep us in Athens. Tim hadn't received any job offers (I think maybe 10 out of 200 in his law school class had job offers in Georgia- maybe the US) and we decided to do what it appears many other college graduates are doing: move home with mom and dad.

Multigenerational homes are certainly more common in this economy. We are blessed to both have sets of parents that would let us come home. The plan was to switch out every other month or so with each set. Something amazing happened while packing up our Athens apartment- I got a job interview! The interview turned into a second interview and eventually a job. Not just any job. A job in my hometown.

So that's the story of how we came to live with my parents. It may be as short as a few months, it may be for a full year- we're just trying to keep our head above water. All the while we're trying to keep our two cats from killing my brother's cat who my parents inherited recently.

So here is to four adults, three cats, two bathrooms and one hilarious blog to chronicle it all.

2 comments:

  1. Jackson, Elliot and Scooby are all insulted that they weren't mentioned by name in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is because we are trying to rename Scooby to Nibbler. Jackson, Elliot and the-cat-formerly-known-as-Scooby will be featured soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...