Friday, October 14, 2011

Remembering my grandmother

This week my family said goodbye to our sweet grandmother, Alma Blackburn Barry. She was one of the kindest people I've ever known. I think my father said it best when he notified his friends on facebook. He said, "All her life, she truly had a servant heart and took care of all those around her including her family, friends, and strangers who were in need. It didn’t end with people though as she loved animals and gardening. She cared for dogs, cats (her favorites), birds, squirrels, and even the raccoons that would come to her door looking for food. If someone or something was hungry, she fed them, if injured or hurting; she cared for them or got them help. She was loved by many and will be missed by all that knew her. I love you mother, God Bless."


When I think of my grandmother, I will always think of cats. She loved to tend to animals. In fact, I'm pretty sure word got around that she would care for them. I can remember her taking care of kittens that were dumped on a side of the road, left for dead. At her home you could always find a humming bird feeder and pans of dry food and water out on the grass. 


I loved to hear her stories, especially ones that involved my dad's youth. I can't ever remember seeing her angry or upset, just smiling and always wanting to serve.


It touches me deeply that friends and family are making donations to the Lee County Animal Shelter in Albany Georgia. I cannot think of a better way to pay tribute to her legacy. 


She didn't invent an ipod or ipad, but she invented in me a spirit of caring that I hope honors her memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...