Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Art of Couponing: It really doesn't take that much time

Someone one time told me they thought what I did was cool, but they didn't have the time. Now, I don't know much about this person, but I know myself and I'm highly involved in a lot of things, and I'm managing just fine. I hear the time argument all the time, but let me tell you about the trip to Publix I had with my mom yesterday.

I literally came home from work, went to the garden, snapped some photos and came in to load them when my mom asked if I wanted to go to Publix. Mind you, before I go to Publix I usually make a list of exactly what I want and I go ahead and pull the coupons I want to use and file them in the front of my coupon organizer.
It fits so well in the purse. And yes, that is Elliot in the back.

Look it expands! And yes, Elliot's tail is in the photo...

"Today's shopping coupons"
This allows me to stay on track in the store, get what I need, and generally be done in less than 15 minutes. Before, I used to meander around in the store for about an hour. (So think about that right there!)

However, yesterday I didn't have the pre-planning time. Mom gave me just a few minutes to put on my shoes, and do a quick scan of the sale paper. So, while I was in the car I started mentally listing what I needed to get.

The result? I used 4 coupons, purchased 7 items, paid $8.57, saved $15.43 or 64%

The biggest deals were the Marie's salad dressing for 65 cent (I've done this deal before), and Dove deodorant for 75 cent.

The next big deal I got is not squirmy boy friendly, so you have been warned...

I got a great deal on tampons. Alright, squirmy boys, get your giggles and groans out. But, mostly I'm speaking to the women here. Girly products can be a serious expense sometimes. Especially the good stuff. Publix had all of their Playtex gentle glide, and Playtex sports tampons on sale B1G1. So on top of that I have a $1 off each. The bottom line: Two boxes of tampons for $1.14 each. Are they my favorite brand? No. But, they are at least a close second.

Just think, if I can save 64% without much planning, what can you save if you take just a little time to plan?

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant work! I've been using a clipboard, but I think a coupon organizer might be just the ticket. I also tried a trick from my mom today: I did a loop in an area around my apartment. I started at Target while carrying sale papers from another local grocer called Rainbow. Turns out Target had some slightly better prices, and it added up. Then I went to our local Aldi, where I saved a dime on milk, fifty cents on eggs, and a few bucks on ground turkey. Since the places are so close together, I feel like I can justify the expense of gas, esp. if I only go out once every week or two for groceries.

    Are you participating in a CSA coop this summer? We signed up for the first time with a farm in Wisconsin, just over the river from us. For $250 we're splitting a share with a friend and won't need our regular vegetable purchases from the grocery stores for four months! I can't imagine how long a snow-free Southern farm could keep its CSA subscriptions going.

    Thanks for the great ideas, and keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly the little accordion file expando was only $1 at a Dollar Store or Dollar General. My mom actually gifted it to me. I really like it. Keeping it in my purse ensures I always have the coupons with me if I somehow have an impromptu need for items.

    I also like it because when I'm just vegging out in front of the TV, I can pull it out and take one section at a time and just flip through them really fast to check the expiration dates. Doing this also helps me commit them to memory.

    I'm actually very unfamiliar with CSA coop. I may need to check that out. I'm currently trying to grow some of my own veggies this spring/summer. I need to post an update about how our first week has gone.

    Thanks for sharing your insights! I learn so much when we chat :)

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I generally stick with Publix and CVS because they are literally both on the same road that my neighborhood shoots off of. I think it is smart to try and either plan to shop at a circle/loop of places, or near you. I would not recommend to anyone driving all over town for deals. Pick a few places on a path and stick with that or else you are burning precious gas fumes away with your money.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...