Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dinner at Our House: Creamy Chicken Rice Soup

We've done it again. This is our third recipe of the new year that we've tried and it is only January 6! My mom is the one who actually cooked it tonight because originally I planned to work late. This recipe also came from my tasteofhome cookbook gifted to me by Mom S. I wish I had been in the kitchen to photograph it more, but the picture I took of my bowl looked boring and didn't do the soup justice, thus I won't be posting it. The Creamy Chicken Rice Soup was delicious and one serving of it (1 cup) is only 4 points. We had green salads and some of our garlic knots to go with the soup.

You can find the recipe and nutrition info here.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups cooked long grain rice
  • 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon white wine, optional

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the rice, chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk, lemon juice and wine if desired. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

And yes, we used the white cooking wine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...