Monday, January 10, 2011

Dinner at Our House: SEC in the "SouthWest"ern Steak Quesadillas

Oh.my.goodness. I am on pins and needles waiting for tonight's BCS National Championship game between Auburn and Oregon!!! When I planned the menu this week I wanted to make something festive for dinner tonight. I found a recipe for quesadillas, but I didn't like it. So I instead found a recipe for Southwestern Flank Steak that I really liked, then decided to have some fun with it. As an avid Auburn Tiger...I named it "SEC in the "SouthWest"ern Steak Quesadillas"


The marinade alone sounded super yum. We used the marinade from the SW Flank Steak recipe and put it on some small thin sirloins that I bought.  I'll post it below:



Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each)

Directions

  • In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  • Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
  • Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.

Remember, though, we did not use flank steak. We used 1lb. of essentially sirloin meat. After letting it marinate over night I took it out this evening and got to work. I cut it into smaller strips and put it in a skillet with light cooking oil spray. I added in some veggies and then we slapped it together with reduced fat Mexican blend cheeses and a low fat tortilla. Presto! Dinner was served.

Mmmmm peppers and onions!

Yumz!

This one worked out a little better because we put them on one side.

Flipped!

Notice that I forgot to photograph before taking out a bite haha!

We also served this dish with Taco Rice plus some salsa. It comes in a package at the store. I only had half a serving (and we prepared it without the extra oil) so the rice was 2WW pts. As for the steak quesadilla, the total WW pt value was 10 pts. (6 meat filling, 2 cheeses and 2 tortilla). It would have been best if we could have had the total fat free tortillas. Oh well though! I also wish I had been able to grill the steak. I think that would have been best too.

Alright, well...this could either be the best night or thr worse. Let's get our hand up for Bodda Getta!

Bodda Getta, Bodda Getta, Bodda Getta, Bah
Rah Rah Rah, Sis Boom Bah 
Weagle, Weagle 
WAR DAMN EAGLE 
Kick Em In The Butt 
Big Blue. Hey!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...